So when I was asked to write a column about social media, business and technology for Patch/AOL, I immediately liked the idea.
What makes my column on Patch different and why should you read it? Fair questions both, and I’ll try to answer them.
I’ve seen a lot of bad advice floating around from self-proclaimed “social media experts” who have little business experience or who know nothing about business. I also see a lot of people offering advice who are more excited about the latest cool concept of the day than they are about business outcomes.
What can you expect from me? My advice is grounded in the depth and breadth of my business experience. I’m a business person who is passionate about accomplishing business results through smart uses of technology. But said tongue-in-cheek, to paraphrase North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams: “I don’t give a #$@% about social media.” Social media and technology is a means to an end; not the end itself. Ultimately, what I care most about are business results.
My hope is that my column brings a business-minded approach to the topic. And that you learn something practical that you can apply in your business.
If you can relate to that, then this column is for you.
A few of my recent columns:
- How to Choose a Weather Radio
- Five Tips for Using Social Media at Festivals
- Social Media and Legal Issues: What Businesses Need to Know
- How to Use Foursquare to Win Customer Loyalty, Featuring D.B.A. Barbecue
- How to Use Foursquare For Fun and Specials
- Using Twitter for Real-Time Customer Service Wins
- Tax Software Showdown: TurboTax vs. H&R Block
- Consumers: 7 Ways to Get the Most Out of Groupon, LivingSocial and Scoutmob (Part 3 of 3 part series)
- How Businesses Can Make the Most of Groupon, LivingSocial and Scoutmob (Part 2 of 3 part series)
- Deal or No Deal: Social Shopping with Groupon, LivingSocial and Scoutmob (Part 1 of 3 part series)
- La Tavola and El Taco Restaurants Put the Social In Social Media
- Osteria 832 Reveals Social Media Secrets
- Atlanta Activewear Sees Business Booming Thanks to Social Media Efforts
If you have ideas for future columns, or want to provide feedback, I’m eager to hear from you.