This month, I’m pleased to be judging the semi-finals round of the TAG Business Launch Competition 2013.
This will be my sixth year judging the competition. I love seeing the variety of startups in Georgia. And enjoy learning from the perspective of the other judges.
Companies will be competing for a cash prize and a suite of related professional services that is valued at more than $450,000.
Over two days, each of the 10 semi-finals companies will make a 15 minute pitch to the panel of judges, followed by a 15 minute Q&A session. At the end of each day, the judges will discuss their views about each company and summarize feedback for the company about their plan and presentation.
Then, at the end of the two days, the semi-finals judges will deliberate and select companies to continue to the finals round.
Ten companies have made it to the semi-finals round:
- Blue Mountain Software
- Flash Issue, Inc.: “An online publishing tool that can help anyone effortlessly find fresh content and create newsletters in minutes.”
- here LLC: “Transforming the way local merchants connect to consumers through an innovative mobile application that generates simplified business analytics.”
- Merlin Mobility, Inc.: “Augmented reality instruction.”
- Rigor: “Monitor customer experience on your website.”
- SafelyStay: “The safest way to rent a vacation home.”
- Sideqik: “Partner marketing. Simplified.”
- Techturized: “A social network for hair and beauty.”
- WACSI: “a SaaS solution for all Brands’ products Environmental Claims verification needs, with a consumer facing interactive app”
- We&Co: “Using data to hireand reward people inthe service economy”
Judges for 2013 include:
Preliminary Application Judges:
- Paul Freet, VentureLab at Georgia Tech
- Melanie Leeth, Imlay Investments
- Jeff McConnell, Whisper Communications
- Keith McGreggor, VentureLab at Georgia Tech
- Michael Price, CEO Ventures
- Adrian Sawczuk, Alvarez & Marsal
- Weichun Tei
- Evelyn Bolden, Cox Enterprises
- David Eckoff, Revolutionary Ventures
- Linnea Geiss, Arcapita Ventures
- Sig Mosley, The godfather of Atlanta angel investing
- Blake Patton, ATDC
- Martin Tilson, The Tilson Group
- Judi Vitale, VitaleCFO
- David Cummings, Serial Entrepreneur
- Steve Fredrick, Grotech
- John Glushik, Intersouth Partners
- Ashish Mistry, BLH Venture Partners
About the TAG Business Launch Competition
The Business Launch Competition, now in its eighth year, supports economic development in Georgia by encouraging the creation and growth of new companies that will strengthen and expand Georgia’s strategic high tech clusters. A group of Georgia’s most successful high tech entrepreneurs has agreed to serve as mentors. A preeminent panel of business leaders, entrepreneurs and a venture capitalist has been recruited to judge the competition. In addition, a group of local investors will attend the final event and receive copies of the business plans for the finalists.
Register now to attend the Finals competition – early bird pricing ends April 19, 2013.